Monday, March 31, 2008

The Midwest...and some venting about parenting

The midwest is a strange place. I never know what to expect from the people up here. Its like living in a different country from what I grew up in. For the most part, the people look at you weird when you talk to them, they never want you to help them with anything, and they just stress out about way too much. Its hard to have a good time when you're worried about your hair and clothes, and car, and house, and friends, and whatever. Calm down people. You need a lesson in how to relax. Laissez les bon temps roulet! Stop stressing out about everything. In the long run, 95% of the crap you're doing is really gonna matter in a year...and less past that. Sometimes you just need to act like you're a kid again. It keeps you young. Growing up is no fun, believe me, I've fought it for years. The only reason I've even attempted to or pretended to is for my daughter.

Now, when I say relax and have fun, that doesn't mean you have to drink every night, sleep with everyone, or do anything that your parents would be ashamed of in the future. Paris Hilton, Nicole Ritchie, Brittney Spears, Jamie Lynne Spears, and Lindsey Lohan are not good role models. If you want a role model, look at a woman who's actually accomplished something. Look at someone like Oprah, Gov. Ann Richards, Rep. Nancy Pelosi, Sen. Hillary Clinton, and yes, even Geraldine Ferraro. Sure, they're not party animals, they might not even be any of the richest women (except Oprah), but they're great role models. If you're looking to teach your daughter to be responsible, and independent, look to these women. I hope that my daughter will eventually grow into a strong, independent woman. In order to accomplish this goal, my ex-wife and I will hopefully continue to work together to make her that way. She is our legacy, and she is my pride and joy. Everything I do in this world is for her, and that will continue for the rest of my life. I realized a long time ago that my happiness will be secondary to hers for the rest of my life. I don't say that to be a martyr or to say I'm better than anyone else, I just love my kid, and the way to show that is to be a father. I miss her every day I don't see her and I cherish every moment I can be with her. No child is perfect, and my daughter has her behavioral and other problems. As long as she can grow up to be happy and successful, I'll be happy, but she has a long way to go, but so do I, so who am I to judge...besides her father.

No comments: